Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

International FX rates - transfer of funds?

Reactions
Very rooky question here I know, but I have to ask it.

I understand that if I'm going to trade U.S stocks (as an Australian in Australia, using an Australian Broker) I need to purchase USD and the cost of the conversion is rather significant.

I noticed that in my HSBC account I can purchase USD as well, and the cost of doing so is significantly cheaper than the rates the brokers ask for. I gather it's a real money spinner for the brokers. Is it possible to purchase your USD elsewhere (such as in HSBC) and transfer it into your USD trading account? This is all in an attempt to save losing to the horrendous FX exchange fee costs no doubt?

Very rooky question here I know, but I have to ask it.

I understand that if I'm going to trade U.S stocks (as an Australian in Australia, using an Australian Broker) I need to purchase USD and the cost of the conversion is rather significant.

I noticed that in my HSBC account I can purchase USD as well, and the cost of doing so is significantly cheaper than the rates the brokers ask for. I gather it's a real money spinner for the brokers. Is it possible to purchase your USD elsewhere (such as in HSBC) and transfer it into your USD trading account? This is all in an attempt to save losing to the horrendous FX exchange fee costs no doubt?
I believe you can, i actually use hsbc myself as well to transfer USD from my hsbc USD account to a US broker .
Last night was a trial transfer and so far so good

I believe you can, i actually use hsbc myself as well to transfer USD from my hsbc USD account to a US broker .
Last night was a trial transfer and so far so good
Do you find you make a significant saving doing it this way? The FX rates these brokers charge seem a little excessive to me.