Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

HVST - BetaShares Australian Dividend Harvester Fund (Managed)

Dona Ferentes

A little bit OC⚡DC
Reactions
I've been noticing ads on ASF for this. Has been around a while.

HVST - Australian Dividend Harvester Fund (managed fund)​

Opportunity for high income from Australian shares

Overview​

Fund objective​

HVST aims to provide franked income that exceeds the net income yield of the broad Australian sharemarket on an annual basis, along with exposure to a diversified portfolio of Australian shares.

Benefits of HVST​

• Opportunity for high monthly income​

HVST’s income stream aims to exceed the net income yield of the broad Australian sharemarket on an annual basis, paid monthly.
  • Designed for investors seeking income​

HVST was specifically created to meet the challenges facing investors for whom income is a high priority, such as SMSF and retiree investors.
  • Diversified exposure to Australian equities​

HVST provides exposure to a diversified portfolio of Australian shares

established June 2022

Net assets* ($A)$192,325,565
Units outstanding* (#)15,331,365
Management fee and cost** (p.a.)0.72%
Distribution frequencyMonthly
Distribution reinvestment plan (DRP)Full or partial participation available

Dividend yield 7.1 per cent, 80% frankwd

I've been noticing ads on ASF for this.

A riveting share price performance too according to the ASX charts.

1704662968423.png

View attachment 168447
indeed , it has been a bit of a capital vacuum , however i participate in the DRP and will probably not buy any extras until i feel the market has bottomed out

the div. payout in recent years in roughly 84 cents a year , which isn't so flash if the share price continues the down-trend

very hard to do a quick NTA as most of the portfolio changes more than three times a year ( according to the ETF provider )

CODECOMPANYASSET
A200BetaShares Australia 200 ETF27.94%
CBACommonwealth Bank of Australia11.20%
QREBetaShares Australian Res Sect ETF6.27%
CSLCSL Ltd5.82%
FMGFortescue Ltd4.90%
Top 10 Holdings
CODECOMPANYASSET
WESWesfarmers Ltd4.23%
TCLTransurban Group3.45%
TLSTelstra Group Ltd3.22%
WDSWoodside Energy Group Ltd2.81%
COLColes Group Ltd2.45%

one might ask if apart from the monthly divs this has any extra attractions over say ARG , AUI , AFI ( i hold none of those 3 LICs )

i notice they have recently added another 'in-house ETF ' possibly to disguise the seasonal REIT buying )

OOPS !!

BETASHARES AUSTRALIAN RESOURCES SECTOR ETF​

CODECOMPANYASSET
BHPBHP Group Ltd43.93%
WDSWoodside Energy Group Ltd10.77%
RIORio Tinto Ltd8.68%
FMGFortescue Ltd7.37%
STOSantos Ltd3.97%
Top 10 Holdings
CODECOMPANYASSET
NSTNorthern Star Resources Ltd2.68%
S32South32 Ltd2.61%
MINMineral Resources Ltd1.90%
PLSPilbara Minerals Ltd1.83%
ALDAmpol Ltd1.53%

but at least the fees and portfolio turnover is lower

Wow is correct Mr @qldfrog.

This is HVST v STW (ETF tracking ASX200).

1704667257763.png

While it's each to their own, for the life I me I cannot understand why you'd put funds into HVST simply because it has an apparently attractive yield. There must be something about it I'm missing but I am more than OK in missing it.

Wow is correct Mr @qldfrog.

This is HVST v STW (ETF tracking ASX200).

View attachment 168451

While it's each to their own, for the life I me I cannot understand why you'd put funds into HVST simply because it has an apparently attractive yield. There must be something about it I'm missing but I am more than OK in missing it.
the yield was tempting , the capital depreciation came later , the compounding via the DRP takes out some of the sting

but is an excellent example of why timing your investments can be a big help

at the risk of being proven wrong ( in the future ) ,PL8 is a much better play at monthly income streams , another option is EIGA ( which i don't hold )

i will be watching HVST closer to see if they onboard more company products into this ETF ( gets a bit synthetic if you end up with an ETF full of ETFs )

and an annual fee of 0.72 per cent !!
that sounds OK when compared to a managed fund , but are they getting the runs on the board ( the share price suggests not )

i am guessing they are losing capital in the rapid churning of portfolio holdings

will using in-house ETFs stop the capital destruction

that sounds OK when compared to a managed fund , but are they getting the runs on the board ( the share price suggests not )

i am guessing they are losing capital in the rapid churning of portfolio holdings

will using in-house ETFs stop the capital destruction
In house ETF will allow them to hide performances and give excuses

In house ETF will allow them to hide performances and give excuses
I'd think there would be some "proprietary software" making allocations and trading in / out around dividend time, trying to scalp a bit of yield. And that would be a messy operation, especially as it is an open end ETF with money flowing in and out on a daily basis.

not a fan.

I'd think there would be some "proprietary software" making allocations and trading in / out around dividend time, trying to scalp a bit of yield. And that would be a messy operation, especially as it is an open end ETF with money flowing in and out on a daily basis.

not a fan.

Info on this product from the ASX web-site. Strange. Difficult not to look at this. It's akin to rubber necking at a car crash.

1704676568285.png

Not to defend BetaShares, I'm not a fan, but it's an income focused fund, one should look at total return to account for the dividend payouts.

The price chart without dividends included is similar to looking at the value of an annuity in the "annuitization phase". https://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/annuitizationphase.asp

1704695483617.png

While it's each to their own, for the life I me I cannot understand why you'd put funds into HVST

It only does what it says on the tin, tries be in the stocks that it thinks will pay the highest yield each quarter. One attraction for some might be that it pays the income out monthly instead of the quarterly (or annual) cadence of some other funds.

Whether that's a good strategy which provides value for the fee (or not) is up to the due diligence of investors.

There must be something about it I'm missing but I am more than OK in missing it.

DJW is another income focused product (although it uses a different strategy of covered calls to try and deliver income), HVST has done better since its inception but you can see their performance of these types of strategies is largely in line (no free lunch). Some discrepancies due to closed-end status of DJW vs open-ended status of HVST.

1704695750965.png

I was in HVST when it first started (about 12 years ago ????) It was lovely getting something like 3% yield quarterly (yes quarterly) but capital value fell about 10% annually. I was in for about 18 months and pulled out in about 2014. The capital decline was just shocking !!!
Glad I pulled the plug years ago.

Info on this product from the ASX web-site. Strange. Difficult not to look at this. It's akin to rubber necking at a car crash.

View attachment 168467
now i am guessing the A200 holding is the wholesale version which pays monthly , am not totally OK with that , but it was a real capital burner without the A200 holding as 'a core holding ' ( to help guarantee a monthly income to the ETF )

now i was waiting for a BIG crash in the market before infusing more cash into this ( the current holding is DRPed ) so the increased shares partly offsets the capital destruction

i also find the current holding rather confusing , surely CSL isn't a high yield stock ( unless you bought it yonks ago )

caution because HVST has a rapid turnover of holdings it will always be a high fee instrument , and maybe a managed ( ASX-listed ) fund will be a viable alternative

i hold HVST

PL8 is similar though pays monthly I think. Has performed better than HVST. Like @Gunnerguy I got into HVST when it started but watched the share price drop & got out on an up day. Word was HVST was returning capital to meet dividend payments. Wouldn't touch either HVST or PL8 with a barge pole though the later seems to have a big following.