Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

How to find out if an ETF is US Domiciled?

Reactions
Hi All,
I'm pretty green to all this but have been building a portfolio of ETF's (got a bit excited in the early days and over did it - at 10 funds already and want to reduce to about 3 or 4).
I figure as I'm consolidating down I might as well get rid of anything US Domiciled that requires the W8ben form (in my 3 years of building the below portfolio I've never filled out a w8ben and to be honest can't be arsed even find out how!). I'm useless with technology and have been googling the crap out of these funds I hold and can't seem to find answers on some...
One's I do have and have found the answer to are:
A200 - No
VAS - No
VGS - No
IVV - No
VEU - Yes
VTS - Yes

I can't find the answer for these and was hoping someone could help:
ASIA -
HACK -
NDQ -
BGBL -

Providing BGBL isn't US domiciled I think to keep things simple for me (and then my wife when I kick the bucket) I'll just consolidate down and continue to build with A200, BGBL and and bit of IVV. Should keep the MER's nice and low too!

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

It'll involve even more googling I'm afraid. I suggest you download the PDS for each and look for any section regarding Taxation Arrangements. The PDS will be on each providers website.

It'll involve even more googling I'm afraid. I suggest you download the PDS for each and look for any section regarding Taxation Arrangements. The PDS will be on each providers website.
Thanks for such a speedy reply!

I think I'm gonna need someone to baby me through this...

I started with BGBL...........................
Downloaded the PDS, Page 30 (Taxation). Can't find anything referencing the term "Domiciled" but found this:

"7.1.1 Taxation of the Funds The Responsible Entity intends to manage the Funds such that the Funds are not subject to Australian tax."

Does that mean its not domiciled in Australia?
Thanks

I started with BGBL...........................
Downloaded the PDS, Page 30 (Taxation). Can't find anything referencing the term "Domiciled" but found this:

"7.1.1 Taxation of the Funds The Responsible Entity intends to manage the Funds such that the Funds are not subject to Australian tax."

Does that mean its not domiciled in Australia?

First I am not familiar with any of the Betashare products (I avoid entities backed by private equity groups. Personal preference there.) However, had a quick read of the BGBL PDS and I notice it has elected to apply AMIT arrangements (complicated shirt stuff there. You'd need to read description on the ATO website if you want to deleve into a deep, dark hole of confusion.)

Being under AMIT, I would say it is Australian domiciled as those which required that form you mention are not under AMIT arrangements. One of the major differences is income distributions are attributed to the year in which they are accrues i.e distributions received in July are included in your income tax return for the previous FY and an annual tax statement will be issued by the provider to assist you in that matter. Those ETFs which are not Australian domiciled, the distributions are included in the tax year they are received.

Now that is my understanding and I could be completely wrong about it. I keep my ETF holdings very simple and I don't want any complications. To me non-Australian domiciled ETFs are a complication I don't need being income rather than performance driven.

PS: I didn't realise it has only been listed since May this year. Didn't the provider have an international index fund until then? Shows you how much I don't follow market crap or various providers.

First I am not familiar with any of the Betashare products (I avoid entities backed by private equity groups. Personal preference there.) However, had a quick read of the BGBL PDS and I notice it has elected to apply AMIT arrangements (complicated shirt stuff there. You'd need to read description on the ATO website if you want to deleve into a deep, dark hole of confusion.)

Being under AMIT, I would say it is Australian domiciled as those which required that form you mention are not under AMIT arrangements. One of the major differences is income distributions are attributed to the year in which they are accrues i.e distributions received in July are included in your income tax return for the previous FY and an annual tax statement will be issued by the provider to assist you in that matter. Those ETFs which are not Australian domiciled, the distributions are included in the tax year they are received.

Now that is my understanding and I could be completely wrong about it. I keep my ETF holdings very simple and I don't want any complications. To me non-Australian domiciled ETFs are a complication I don't need being income rather than performance driven.

PS: I didn't realise it has only been listed since May this year. Didn't the provider have an international index fund until then? Shows you how much I don't follow market crap or various providers.
thanks so much - really appreciate your help