Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASX Lithium Stocks Recommended by Brokers: WHY?

Garpal Gumnut

Ross Island Hotel
Reactions

This interesting article in Market Index today discusses recommendations from Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and Macquarie to buy Australian lithium miners. Each recommends different miners. The usual suspects are included.

Beware.

These brokers recommended these stocks when the Lithium price was quite high, it has fallen 70% over 12 months. Many of their large clients are overloaded with Lithium miners. All agree it has further to fall and will remain low due to existing inventory, producers willing to sell at any low price and too many producers.

Brokers need to sell miners but there are few buyers as their large clients are very, very angry. This is an attempt to draw in investors who follow broker's recommendations to buy stocks that nobody wants.

gg

i hold MIN ( 'free-carried' ) and IGO ( and the completely under the radar WES )

but did not buy into any of these stocks because of their lithium exposure

( which seems to be a better motive )

very interesting that the experienced professionals seem to get carried away , by every new dream/fad

i remember well the Graphite/Graphene 'rocket-ship i let fly off because i couldn't understand why all the fuss

this time stocks i already held, jumped on that train on my behalf ( for better or worse )

I do wonder with brokers and any conflict of info. See GYG valuations being reported recently.

And here:

Morgan Stanley proposes a “cautious” approach. The broker calculates that Pilbara Minerals (ASX: PLS) and IGO (ASX: IGO) are trading on an “implied spodumene price of US$1,350/t and US$1,370/t, respectively”. The current spodumene price is closer to US$950/t.

Then, a couple od paras later:

On ASX lithium stocks, Goldman Sachs is BUY rated on IGO only. It’s the only stock in their coverage that is presently trading at an implied spodumene price below the current spot price.

:rolleyes: